Thursday, November 29, 2018

Inequality in the Workforce

For this week’s blog post, I have decided to discuss and reflect on wage gaps and gender inequality in the United States workforce. After a recent lecture on this topic in my sociology class, I noticed how this very much relates as a topic that could revolve around our U.S. national government. Unequal pay between men and women is one of, if not the largest factor that influences gender inequality in the workplace. 

People who are hired for the same exact job, performing the same exact tasks should not be paid differently according to their gender. In my class sociology class, my teacher mentioned that the average woman earns 79 cents for every dollar a man makes. This would mean that women are getting paid on average, over 20% less than men are, based on these statistics. Although I am not currently employed in the workforce and am experiencing this inequality first hand, I am sure I speak for many women who are when I say that these overwhelming wage gaps also contribute to the confidence women hold in their jobs. As more and more women discover how large of an issue wage gaps are becoming, it would be very valid for them to wonder what value their employers hold them to.

I believe that women should continue to fight for what they want and that they should not be afraid to stand up to their bosses, coworkers, and even the general public about what they believe in. Companies should not pay people for what gender they are, but the job that they are doing and the skills that the old.

No comments:

Post a Comment